Allison is a nationally recognized expert in the fields of child welfare and children’s mental health with 25 years of experience in all aspects of the non-profit sector including executive leadership, program development, board/staff training and engagement, and philanthropic partnering. She is a clinician, educator, expert trainer, keynote speaker and organizational consultant.
Allison was the foster care and adoption consultant for the Paramount Pictures film, Instant Family
She is the Executive Director at the National Center on Adoption and Permanency. Their vision and mission is to reform child welfare and adoption/permanency through innovative implementation of research informed policy and practice.
Allison provides training, speaking and consultation services on a wide range of topics including strengthening Children’s Mental Health, Trauma-Informed Care, Childhood Trauma and Neglect, Attachment & Relational Trauma, Adoption Clinical Competence, Adoption & Permanency, Developmental Trauma, Family Attachment Therapy, Kinship Care, transitional age youth and others.
She has presented at national, state and local mental health and child welfare conferences including the Child Welfare League of America, the North American Council on Adoptable Children, the American Adoption Congress , San Diego County Children’s System of Care Training Academy and the prestigious Georgetown University National Symposium on Children’s Mental Health Systems of Care.
Allison has also written and developed specialized curriculum, including:
- Words Matter!, Fostering Families Today, Nov/Dec 2018
- Children Learn What They Live, Fostering Families Today, May/June 2018
- Dance of Relationship: What All Parents Need to Know About Attachment, Fostering Families Today, March/April 2018
- Adoption Trauma, Fostering Families Today, Sept/Oct 2017
- Helping Your Child Move from Anti-Social to Pro-Social Behaviors, North American Council on Adoptable Children, Adoptalk Winter 2017
- What To Do With Challenging Behaviors, Fostering Families Today, July/August 2017
- 10 Things Kinship Caregivers Need, Kinship Parenting Toolbox, EMK Press 2015
- The Dance of Permanence, Fostering Families Today, 2011
- Becoming Your Foster Child’s Emotional Tutor, The Foster Parenting Toolbox, 2012
- co-author and lead trainer of Kinship Center’s ACT: An Adoption and Permanency Curriculum for Child Welfare and Mental Health Professionals (48 hrs of clinical training)
- co-author and lead trainer of Kinship Center’s Pathways to Permanence 2: Parenting the Child of Loss and Trauma (21/hrs)
- Creator of 10 Things Your Child Needs Every Day; a DVD training tool to assist parents/caregivers with specific strategies to strengthen their attachment relationship with their child